Wednesday, August 12, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Creates a Background Panel

For the BOLD SENTIMENTS Special Stamp Release + Comment to Win post, click here.




Hi, peeps! Today I've made a pretty background panel using some of the stamps from HousesExtras.


My trusty Distress Inks are never far away when I'm using colour, and the Minis are perfect for creating custom palettes. I made a palette on an acrylic block, and laid the stamps face-down onto my stamping block so that I could use the reverse surfaces for solid stamping.

(Oh - see all those bits of washi tape on the stamp pack? Shery carefully wraps my goodies in tissue paper and seals them with strips of washi tape, and I can't bear to throw it away so I carefully peel the strips off and stick them to the sets in that delivery. It also helps me to easily pick out the stamps from each release - method in the madness.)


Anyway - back to business. You need to give the palette a light spritz with water before you stamp, otherwise the suction on the reverse sides will be too great and your stamps will stick on your palette. I know this thing.


By inking the stamps from different areas of the palette, you get a lovely mix of colours. Once I'd inked the whole of the background (apart from that little gap top-left, which I did later), I placed the stamps face down on the card, then picked them up with the acrylic stamping block.

Using Versafine Onyx Black, I stamped over the solid images to get this lovely effect:


All that was left was to mount it onto a black panel and then onto the base card, and add a sentiment from Fond Expressions 2. Here's another look at the finished card.



Products Shirley used in today's project:

  preview-SRDFondExpressions2


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for August. We'll pick ONE (1) commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on the first week of September!

15 comments:

  1. What an unusual technique. Gorgeous card. I love the design. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun card. I've been meaning to stretch my supplies by using the backs of my stamps to create a solid background image for the outlined image, but using distress inks to create such a fun and colourful palette is new to me. It does look like a lot of fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're brilliant...takes a smarty to color those trees the way you have. What a lovely, cheery card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing !!! Love the effect you´ve createt !!!
    CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulously different, love it...I need more stamps I am thinking.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool card. Thanks for sharing this unusual stamping technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool - this card has a wonderful background and such excellent stamping on it - what a wonderful idea!!! And I like the washi tape idea - clever and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely technique of using stamps face down to create solid ,colored base :) delightful card n thanks for sharing the technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shirley this is gorgeous - thanks for sharing how you made it
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooo interesting... and fun. And what a great look too. Thanks bunches for sharing. j.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooo interesting... and fun. And what a great look too. Thanks bunches for sharing. j.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soooo interesting... and fun. And what a great look too. Thanks bunches for sharing. j.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks sooooo cool! I'm going to try this out! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how you created your background and how you stamped it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! Such a great technique and I must try. Thanks for sharing Shirley! :)

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)